Karnataka Veterinary Council is a body corporate governed by council of members elected from among themselves by registered Veterinary practitioners in Karnataka state and by nominations of registered Veterinary practitioners by Government of Karnataka.
Indian Veterinary Council Act.1984 (No.52 of 1984), enacted in 1984 and published in the Extraordinary Gazette of India dated 21st August 1984 extends to Karnataka and by adopting the Act, State Government has formulated Karnataka Veterinary Council Rules 1998 to regulate Veterinary practice and to maintain State Veterinary Practitioner’s Register.
Financial assistance is provided under Centrally Sponsored Scheme in proportions of 50:50 as Grant-in-aid. Financial assistance is released by State Government through department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services and from department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying (Ministry of Agriculture) Government of India, under Plan Scheme “Professional Efficiency Development” for implementation of various programmes.
Continuing Veterinary Education is an essential prerequisite for sustained Professional Knowledge and improved quality of services of Veterinary Professionals. The Components evolved and suggested by the expert group comprises of:
- Knowledge based programmes for updating Professional / Technical Knowledge in disciplines directly related to Veterinary & Animal Husbandry Development.
- Skill/ Technology based programmes to improve skills and competence in Animal Health Care System, Veterinary Public Health & Production Technologies etc.
- Technical Competence Development Programmes to improve Technical Competence in areas like Diagnostics and Production Technologies.
- Refresher courses to choose the area of professional needs and to keep abreast of current developments.
- Programmes are implemented through interactive mode as also open learning mode. Veterinary Colleges, Research Institutions and experts in specific areas will be associated.
- The Karnataka Veterinary Council in its endeavour for continuing Veterinary Education will organize Seminars, conferences and workshops with specific requests.
- The Programme schedules are in accordance with identified modules.